History of Christ's Lutheran Church
The story of Christ’s Evangelical Lutheran Church is one of conflict, struggle and faith. The region was little more than a wilderness punctuated by widely scattered farms with meager dwellings. Eighteenth century Westmoreland County was called the “Western Country,” encompassing all of what is now Allegheny, Fayette and Greene Counties. Occasionally, Native Americans were still encountered traveling ageless paths in among the hills and valleys. As early as 1784 (the year after Hannastown was burned by the Indians and Greensburg made the seat of Westmoreland government), a handful of German-speaking Reformed and Lutheran families escaping the religious oppression of their homeland endured the rigorous trek west and created a tiny settlement on a nameless hill. The nearest place of worship at the time was Brush Creek Evangelical Lutheran Church, on old Forbes Road near Adamsburg, almost 20 miles away. German immigrant Rev. A.U. Lütje, Western Pennsylvania’s first pioneer minister, would occasionally visit the remote outposts in the region and preach.
When an early settler died, services for the dead were often held months after the burial when the preacher finally made his rounds. Often families walked the 20 miles to attend communal services and dedicate their children to the Lord. Parents routinely left their children there over the winter for confirmation training. When the spring arrived, the children returned home, ready to help again in the hard work on the farm.
“Vater Steck” Following closely in the path of Rev. Lütje was a dedicated Lutheran pastor named John Michael Steck. A German immigrant himself, he had come from the eastern part of the state and settled in Greensburg in 1791. Regarded by historians as the foremost Lutheran minister of the region, “Vater Steck” was a horse-back circuit rider serving a dozen congregations, and it was all he could do to occasionally visit this determined community. Energetic and a natural organizer, Father Steck brought into being most of the older Lutheran churches now existing in Westmoreland County, preaching to them in the German language and administering the Sacraments in settlers’ homes. In 1796, able to visit barely twice a year, Pastor Steck formally organized the tiny congregation living in the vicinity of that lonely Sardis hill.
The very early church services usually lasted all day Sunday in the summer months. People walked for miles over rough roads barely more than paths to the services carrying their small children with them. The congregation brought lunch and ate in the shade of nearby trees at noon. Seats were rough and uncomfortable, but the people were so eager to hear the word of God and to associate with their friends that they did not mind. Children were brought to learn to read the Bible in Sunday School. In fact, the German churches of Westmoreland County are credited with educating the young prior to the existence of any public school system. These first services were held in the homes and barns of parishioners. It took nearly 20 years for a house of worship to be built. Two Simple Log Churches In 1815, as the number of confirmed members grew, the need of a church building arose.
Due to the scarcity of preachers and lack of finances, it was common for the Lutherans and the Reformed to share a church building, used one Sunday by the Lutheran congregation, the Reformed the following week. Two hilltop locations were proposed, about two miles apart. A mile south of the Sardis crossroads, John Beemer and family presented an acre and three-quarters on the ridge overlooking their homestead, a tract that included the family cemetery that had been in use since at least 1791. The other plot was a mile north of Sardis, offered by a faithful 39-year-old farmer, his wife Catherine, two sons and a daughter. Daniel Hankey, in whose home countless services had been conducted over the past many years, offered to the church a picturesque parcel of ground. On the hilltop overlooking the Hankey farm were three acres of berry bushes and goldenrod. The two congregations’ families were so scattered across the area that neither site could be unanimously settled on. A part of both the Lutherans and Reformers fell in love with one location, and a part of both were adamantly in favor of the other. As a result, two tiny, dark and drafty church buildings were constructed of hand-hewn logs on both sites in 1817.
The first record of Lutheran communion (and presumably the dedication) was conducted by Pastor Steck on June 11, 1820. The deeds were finally executed two years later when the land was conveyed to the “Trustees of the German Lutheran and the German Presbyterian Churches” (the name Presbyterian frequently applied to the Reformed). Facing Crisis By the late 1830’s, Lutheran membership had eroded to the point that it was a struggle to support any kind of Lutheran clergy. Pastor Jacob Zimmerman preached his German sermons once a month from 1843 to 1849, but for six years after that only performed a handful of services. Life was hard in this day. Reverend Zimmerman’s diary includes heart-wrenching entries such as “April 26, 1843 – Confirmed Sarah Eyler and likewise administered to her the Lord’s Supper. She was now confined to her bed by perhaps a fatal disease,” and “Oct 30, 1845 – Funeral for Nancy, little daughter of Michael Bochner, aged 2 years, 3 days, drowned in the spring.” By December 1853, the hard life had left only thirteen members to receive the Sacrament. An interim pastor supplied support through 1856, perhaps the shakiest period of the young church’s life.
In 1857, Pastor L.M. Kuhns was an answer to prayers. Called to reorganize the congregation, he found both it and the aging log church in a sad and dilapidated state. A tireless worker, Pastor Kuhns was the first full-time Lutheran pastor, and his devotion to the congregation generated enormous admiration for the man and allowed him to succeed where others had failed. His riveting preaching style, however, provided the spark to a miraculous turnaround. For the first time in the life of the congregation, services were regularly conducted in the native language of this new land, English.
A new day was about to dawn for the little church on the hill. Renewed and Rebuilt Kuhns moved on in April of 1859, but not before establishing some long-term assistance to help the determined congregation. Now to help further the recovery, a financial as well as pastoral partnership was formed with Bethesda Church in Lower Burrell. Both original log structures were over 40 years old and rapidly deteriorating, so a new union church (for both Lutherans and Reformed congregations) was built on Hankey’s hill. The cornerstone for this new building was laid in May of 1859, and at this time took on the name we now use, Christ’s. This quaint structure was to serve the congregation for the next 100 years. Perhaps it was the Civil War that delayed the dedication, belatedly held in October, 1866. Christ’s was on its way to getting back on its feet. But by 1868, it was now the Reformed congregation that found itself struggling. Reformed attendance had diminished to the point that they hardly needed a full size sanctuary and had begun meeting weekly in one of the parishioners’ homes. With the Lutherans now teamed with Bethesda, it was mutually agreed to terminate the Reformed union. They still occasionally met at the Hankey church until their own new church was built on the Beemer’s hill location in 1871. Into The New Century With the continued help of Bethesda, a frame parsonage was built next to the church at a handsome cost of $2,700 in 1891.
Ten years later there was additional renovation at a cost of $1,250, rededicated on a cold December Sunday in 1901. The chancel was remodeled once again fifteen years later and a memorial altar installed. In 1917, when young men were being called to World War, the Rev. Oscar Woods (father of longtime member Virginia Woods Polhamus) was answering a call to Christ’s. For the grand total of $800 per year, he began his service to the congregation, which lasted until 1921. Even in the 20’s and 30’s, there were stables for a limited number of horses. Those who arrived early could make use of the stalls. And the sharing of pastors with Bethesda meant that the churches alternated morning and afternoon services to accommodate both congregations coming to hear Pastor Paul Tau’s fiery sermons or those of the young, new seminary graduate Ted Althof.
By February of 1941, Bethesda and Christ’s determined it was time to dissolve their partnership. Pastor Martin Roth spent two years here, and it was around this time that the sycamore trees were planted in front of the church. These, in addition to the sweet and sour cherry trees and a nearby raspberry patch made for an idyllic setting and a fragrant spring. Pastor Woods returned in 1943 to serve at Christ’s as he had in the previous World War. Until this point, the church had consisted of only one room heated by a coal stove.
In 1952, Pastor Alan Martin arrived as the congregation was planning its most ambitious renovation program to date. The church building was to be painstakingly elevated to excavate a basement beneath it, install a modern oil furnace, kitchen, Sunday school rooms and add an attractive addition to the front. Throughout the construction, worship was held in Sardis Elementary School (barely 200 yards from our current location).
By the fall of 1954, for the first time in over a century and a half, the church now had more than one room. A Monumental Leap Of Faith Just five years later, a new and special call came to Christ’s. In 1959, the LCA’s Board of American Missions, recognizing the explosive growth occurring in the Holiday Park region, proposed to Pastor Frank Miller that we render a much larger service to the area. This would require relocating to a more visible, accessible location. After prayerful consideration, a vote was taken that forever would change the nature of Christ’s. The decision was made to move. Pastor George Little was called to Christ’s as a three-stage, multi-year plan was being prepared. Mindful of limited resources, phase one was the erection of a temporary sanctuary (today our Social Hall) with a basement for Sunday School, dedicated in September 1963. However, with an aggressive evangelistic effort, Christ’s witnessed an explosion of growth, and more Sunday School space was soon needed. The second phase educational wing was quickly added and dedicated in November of 1969. Comparing 1961 to 1971, membership had more than doubled in those 10 years, and catechumens had increased from 9 to 65. Clearly, that original 1959 leap of faith seemed to have paid off more than most could have hoped for. Other significant changes that occurred include the use of communion wine instead of juice, and the celebration of communion every Sunday.
When Pastor Little retired, Pastor Herb Dubler was called to continue the groundwork of the 60’s and keep the momentum going. With so many new, young families, the church offered a number of Christian social activities for a variety of ages. The liturgical deacon program was instituted (originally deacons served at all services, six months at a time), and Christ’s also saw women taking a more active role in the church leadership than ever before.
Following a brief tenure by Pastor David Ernst, Pastor Steve Myers was called to Christ’s in 1982. Soon the completion of the final phase of the grand plan, our new sanctuary, became the focus of the congregation. Bulldozers and construction vehicles first started moving the earth in September of 1986. In short order, impressive arches, dramatic stained-glass windows and pristine acoustics all came together. Bishop May preached at the dedication service on March 1, 1987. Christ’s Today Pastor Myers retired in 2005 after nearly 23 years of ministry at Christ’s. Late in his tenure he oversaw the renovation of the sanctuary to accommodate a 10-rank, 28-stop Möller pipe organ, purchased from Mt. Lebanon United Lutheran Church and painstakingly installed to match the beauty of the sanctuary. The pipe organ replaces a Rodgers electronic organ that had been in service for many years. Plans were put into motion for major physical renovations to the rest of the church, to include a new roof, new windows, and new carpeting and vinyl flooring throughout the building.
It was into the midst of these renovations, early in 2006, that Pastor Ed Sheehan entered his ministry at Christ’s. Pastor Ed brings new energy and vitality to the mission of Christ’s, to “Make Disciples!” Through Pastor Ed’s guidance, and with the support of the time, talent and treasure of our many dedicated parishioners, Christ’s Church continues to perform the work of our Lord which was begun in a little log church on a hill more than 200 years ago.
Pastor Wayne Gillespie began his ministry at Christ’s Lutheran Church in 2013. Pastor Wayne’s commitment to young people was immediately recognized when he introduced an interactive learning approach - designed to help teenagers more deeply connect their faith and daily lives. He openly addressed the issue of bullying among teenagers in our community after an incident of school violence, and he guided our congregation through the process of creating and implementing a “Safe Child Policy.”
Pastor Wayne is, also, deeply committed to the life and future of Christ’s Church. He’s created and led Bible studies that encourage our members to think about new ways of doing ministry in the 21st Century, and he’s encouraged us to think about things we can do to become a more intergenerational congregation. He’s, also, challenged us to think more deeply about what it means to be “Christ’s Church for All People,” and he’s lifted-up four ministry objectives that can help us to become more deeply connected with the people in our community, and more equipped for life and ministry. He’s, more recently, encouraged us to think more deeply about ways that we can utilize modern technology to spread the message of Jesus Christ and to more intentionally share the story of our Gospel-centered ministry. Pastor Wayne’s, also, encouraged us to explore the major issues that affect people’s lives in our community. Earlier this year, we sponsored a seminar that addressed the issues of pain management and drug addiction; and, in the coming months, we hope to sponsor an event for caregivers in our community who are providing care and support for people they love.
Christ’s Lutheran Church has always been known as a church that’s deeply engaged in mission and ministry. And, as we look forward, we’re excited about moving into a bright future where we will continue to touch and change lives with the life-giving message of Jesus Christ.
J.M. Steck 1796—1820
Jonas Mechling 1820—1839
Jacob Heelsche 1839—1840
Jacob Zimmerman 1843—1855
C.H. Hersh (supply) 1855—1856
L.M. Kuhns 1856—1859
A.C. Ehrenfeld 1859—1861
P.G. Bell 1862—1864 D.M.
Kemerer (supply) 1864—1865
S.F. Breckenridge 1865—1869
Michael Colver 1869—1876
C.F. Harshman 1876—1879
D.R.P. Barry 1880—1881
M.G. Earhart 1881—1886
J.K. Hilty 1886—1890
Carl Zinssmeiter 1890—1892
Alex McLaughlin 1892—1897
C.E. Smith 1897—1898
J.E. Lerch 1899—1903
J.M. Stover 1904—1909
H.H. Flick 1910—1917
Oscar Woods 1917—1921
H.A. Seel 1922—1924
Paul J. Tau 1924—1933
Albert Speck 1933—1936
T.H. Althof 1936—1941
Martin J. Roth 1941—1943
Oscar Woods 1943—1952
Alan K. Martin 1952—1956
Frank H. Miller 1957—1960
George E. Little 1961—1971
Herbert D. Dubler 1972—1979
David W. Ernst 1980—1981
Steven J. Myers 1982—2005
Roger L. Steiner (ass’t pastor) 1996—2001
Edward Sheehan 2006—2012
Larry Camberg (interim) 2012-2013
Wayne Gillespie 2013- * * *
To get to the site of old Hankey Church, cross Route 286 and follow Logan Ferry Road north one mile, then turn right onto Hankey Church Road. The cemetery with the white picket fence is on your right; the original log cabin and subsequently expanded church building was located in the grassy clearing across the road directly opposite the cemetery gate. Through the gate and up the slope only a few yards are the graves of Daniel (1776 – 1828) and Catherine Best (177? – 1821) Hankey, nestled under a sprawling bush. There are also three Revolutionary War soldiers buried nearby: Conrad Ludwig (1736 – 1833), Daniel Carpenter (1749 – 1827), and Capt. William Morris (dates unknown). The Hankey farm (also spelled “Henke” in the original German) is now Rolling Hills Golf Course. The location of the original homestead, located near the white farmhouse, is just barely visible from the back of the cemetery. Sadly, the proud old church building that served Christ’s for a century caught fire under suspicious circumstances and was destroyed in August 1973.
What came to be known as “Beemer Church” was situated on the right as you travel south from the present day Christ’s heading toward Murrysville. The tiny log cabin church was situated where the house at 5104 Logans Ferry Road is today. By 1858, Beemer Church’s roof was partially blown off and the church had generally fallen into such disrepair that it was utterly unfit for holding services. The Olive Reformed Church was built in 1871 to replace it. Years later, the Reformed Congregation joined what is now know as the United Church of Christ. The rebuilt Olive Church was demolished in the 1970’s. The graves of John Beemer (1763 – 1844), wife Eve (1770 – 1854), and children Henry, Elizabeth, Susan Anne, Phillip and Reuben are in the center of this beautifully situated resting place, overlooking their home to the northeast. The oldest grave is just to the right of Eve’s. This small unobtrusive flat stone is barely legible, but is engrave J. Silvis, 1791, and could possibly be one of Eve’s parents. The Beemer’s old log farmhouse was very close to the present day farm tucked behind the Erie Insurance building.
History researched and prepared by Mr. Terry Caywood Information from: The Professional Diary of Jacob Zimmerman, 1841 – 1899 The New Illustrated Atlas of Westmoreland County, 1876 The History of the County of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, edited by George Dallas Albert, 1882 Allegheny County’s Hundred Years, by George H. Thurston, 1888 Old And New Westmoreland, Vol. 2, by John N. Boucher, 1918 Burgess Memorial History of the Pittsburgh Synod, 1925 Pittsburgh Synod Congregational Histories, by Ernest G. Heissenbuttel, 1959
Special thanks to members of the congregation who shared their recollections of the history of Christ’s: Emilie Baumann, Marie Bishop, Doris Cashell, Louise Fitz, Stan Kozuch, Pastor Steve Myers, Jack Pfaff, Sandy Suni, George & Edith Truby, Mike Werner, and many others.